Thursday, July 28, 2016

I'm turning into Victor Meldrew

Another day, another complaint about my apartment.  Since the office said they couldn’t (more like they wouldn’t) do anything to address food odors, I decided to take the matter into my hands and left the following note to my neighbor:

Hi,

I”m a neighbor and I hate to write this but I have to say something - but the smell of food odors when you cook on your patio can be quite strong and unpleasant, and it’s happening quite frequently now.  It’s bad enough that I cannot go on my balcony, and I cannot even have my door or windows open otherwise the smell gets into my apartment.  I know I cannot stop you cooking, but anything you can do to reduce the frequency or impact of the smell would be appreciated.

Thank you!

I hope this is polite enough, not too passive aggressive, and I hope I haven’t just made the situation worse.  I don’t think so – better to say something in the hope that it might make the situation better, rather than not saying anything and letting it continue, and they might not even be aware of how much their cooking affects their neighbors.  They are 2 apartments below me, and it seems like they cook using their BBQ almost every night – and the stink goes straight up onto my balcony and into my apartment if I have the door open.  About the only redeeming feature of my apartment is the view, so I want to be able to relax on my balcony.  And I certainly want to be able to leave my door open – since my apartment is exposed to a lot of sunlight (which the blinds are totally ineffective at stopping) it gets very hot, and the ceiling fan is utterly useless at cooling down so I need to let the heat escape somehow.  Of course, all of this is totally meaningless because I have to shut the door to drown out the sound of kids shouting and screaming whilst playing outside, and I cannot relax on my balcony because the neighbor immediately below decided to put in a window AC unit which is really noisy and remarkably annoying (and something I’ve also complained to the office about and that they said they would do something about, though I don’t think they’ve said anything because there hasn’t been one jot of difference in the noise yet).  I hate this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment