Thursday, July 14, 2016

... and The Ugly

Well, I was going to say something about the prospect of Sam Allardyce being England’s next manager, a thoroughly backward, baffling and scary thought.  But then I watched the end of today’s Tour de France stage live before heading off to work, and that had some real ugliness.  Tour de France fans on these mountain stages have always been annoying and punchable, but it seems to have got worst – and I guess because they moved the end of this stage lower down the slopes, that meant the crowds reached critical mass and caused the chaos and crash.  Farcical, and avoidable.  I know it’s not feasible to put barriers up along the entirety of a stage, but I think they have to consider it for all those slopes where the cyclists are going slow enough for the crowd to be a real pain in the ass.  If I was there I would intentionally trip up any of those idiots who run alongside the crowds.  Embarrassing, and makes a mockery of what is a great sport, a great spectacle, and a great event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment