Friday, July 29, 2016

Empire Magazine

I’ve subscribed to Empire Magazine for a while now – but perhaps in a sign of the times, I do not think I want to renew my subscription any more.  I don’t think I can justify the expense or the lack of timeliness (I receive my magazine in the mail about a month after it has been released in the UK shops).  If I really wanted to continue reading it, I could probably get an electronic subscription and read it on my Kindle or Ipad (if I had either of those!).  But honestly, I consume my film news and reviews from any number of other online sources now – so there just doesn’t seem any point to continuing to get the magazine, especially in paper form.  I think the final straw was the latest edition, where they’ve revamped the layout and content in a way I don’t like at all.  The rotating cast of editors they’ve had recently and the recent “modifications” remind me so much of the last days of the Spectrum and the fantastic Your Sinclair magazine as it made desperate changes to try to survive as long as it could.  I hope Empire doesn’t go under, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it did.    

No comments:

Post a Comment