Saturday, July 23, 2016

Coming to America

I had absolutely no intentions, and really had given it no thought whatsoever, to moving to the US until the opportunity came up to transfer to San Diego in 2003.  However, I've been wondering whether the seeds were planted much sooner than that.  I have a memory of watching American Football on Channel 4 from my childhood (and I remember going to Wembley to watch a game in the early 90s).  Then I found this on the internet:


This is fantastic.  I remember the Channel 4 logo as an American Football player, I remember the theme song of Holding Out for a Hero by Bonnie Tyler, but I don't remember the presenter in the clip - I only remember Gary Imlach, but maybe he came later and my memories have got blurred.  What is shocking is that the clip is from 1985.  1985!  I wasn't even 10 then.  I don't have many childhood memories, so perhaps my enjoyment of the game, and by association the States, has been in my subconscious since then...

No comments:

Post a Comment