Thursday, July 23, 2020

Play Ball

Of all the sports that have restarted without an audience, there is one that I really don't care if, how and when it restarted.  But here we are, America's national game - baseball - started today.  It will be a shortened season, with probably a load of temporary rule changes not unlike football.  And not unlike football, I suspect a lot of these temporary rules will become permanent.  In football, I think water breaks will become permanent - and eventually be extended so that a football game consists of quarters rather than halves - cynically better for including more advertising in tv coverage.  In baseball, one of the big discrepancies between NL and AL teams is the use of a designated hitter - and one of the rule changes for this season was that all teams now have to use one.  I also wouldn't be surprised if this became permanent.  I really should be more invested in baseball - my team, the San Diego Padres, are better than they have been for a while (though I still suspect they won't make the playoffs, for the 14th year in a row).  But no, baseball will still be an interminably boring sport to watch.

Some more late breaking sports news - the new Seattle NHL team was named today.  And they might have the best team name in all of American sports.  I shall be cheering on the Seattle Kraken beginning next year.  RELEASE THE KRAKEN etc etc.       

1 comment:

  1. I concur, I thought "Kraken" an excellent left field choice.

    ReplyDelete