Thursday, July 30, 2020

Noise Sensitivity

I'm sensitive to noise when I'm in the office - from the sounds of people thumping their keyboards, to overhearing loud conversations (particularly if they're in Chinese) to people having their phone volumes too high or god forbid using the speaker, and so on.  So naturally, when I'm working from home then I start to become overly sensitive to the noises around me here.  This might be the sound of one of my neighbor's sons (who must in his 20's?) - who clearly plays of lot of those multiplayer video games because I often hear him shouting into his headset or whatever.  Then I've got my landlord and his sons, who are always tinkering around with their cars so you frequently hear the sound of engines revving and so on.  Both of these I can live with.  However, this week has been bad because we have a new sound - and it's my least favorite sound - construction noise.  It looks like they're going full steam ahead on refurbishing the rundown house next door.  And it's hell.  I'm not the only person I know having to deal with construction noise at the moment, so you have my full sympathy.  It looks like they're working on the roof at the moment - and to a certain degree I could get used to the sound of banging and sawing.  But those aren't the most annoying sounds.  No, those are the sounds of an air compressor or generator that they seem to leave on a lot more than they actually need to - and when I can't hear that, then the sound of some godawful Mexican music.  At a party-level type volume.  It is infuriatingly annoying, and I'm not sure what to do about it.  I can minimize the noise inside my house by not having the windows open that face that way - not ideal when we're going through a heatwave at the moment.  I can adjust my schedule so that I'm not home as much when they're working - e.g. going for morning or lunchtime walks.  If it gets bad, can I even consider going into the office to work?  I've got absolutely no idea how long this noise is going to last for.  And then of course, can I go over there and say something to them?  What do I say - do you mind awfully if you keep the noise down when you're slaving away on the roof for less than minimum wage?  If the construction guys even speak English.  I don't think it's too much just to ask them to only use the air compressor/generator when they need to (and move it somewhere so that the sound doesn't reach me so easily) and to turn the music down.  But even getting to their house is a problem - when I drive past their driveway, it always seems to be flooded, and my landlord says that they have some severe plumbing problems there (I think he made a low-ball offer on the house and lot, but didn't get it).  So let's see if it continues through into next week.  I simply think it's impossible to find the peace and quiet that I want wherever I live.           

1 comment:

  1. Buy Earplugs** or Man Up.

    ** - The good quality 38 or 39 dB reduction ones
    (which I use for sleep)

    ReplyDelete