Friday, March 1, 2019

Turnaround

It’s that time of the year when people get their bonus and quit – and this year is no different.  Several people in my department have left over the last few weeks – nobody I was particularly close to, and sadly nobody who is going to open up a gap and an opportunity I can fill, but they will be missed.  Unfortunately I will probably never see or interact with these people again – they say they can be found on Facebook and LinkedIn, but I don’t even have a LinkedIn account and I haven’t used Facebook for years (a long time ago I had an account, which I think I tried to close, and then I created a new account for the sole purpose of tracking one person down and have not used it since!).    Most people are staying in the Seattle vicinity – so I guess there is a chance I might bump into them randomly, but I don’t exactly go out much nowadays to create many opportunities for that to happen!  And I probably won’t bump into them professionally unless something major happens with my company (think – merger).  So as they start their new adventures, I stay put on whatever path to nowhere I’m currently on - and it makes me reflect.  I’m happy trundling along for the time being, but my life does seem to be lacking direction and purpose.  Personally and professionally.  As they say in Shawshank Redemption, you can get busy living or you can get busy dying.  And it feels like I’m doing the latter at the moment.  Jeez, I’m sorry that turned into a bit of a downer at the end there.

No comments:

Post a Comment