Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Tax Break Broken

As someone who shops quite frequently on Amazon and eBay, I’ve noticed a big difference this year.  I’ve started having to pay sales tax on everything.  Traditionally, I only had to pay sales tax when I bought something direct from Amazon.  Which meant that I could save a lot of money by buying from either eBay or from the Amazon Marketplace.  No more – and I think this only changed this calendar year.  I always thought that if the company or individual selling the product didn’t have a store or physical address in Washington state, then I wasn’t liable to pay sales tax (since it was a “state” tax).  Apparently that is no longer the case (a quick google search suggests it might be due to a US Supreme Court ruling last year – so I can blame Trump).  And when we’re talking about a sales tax of about 10%, this is adding up to quite a big additional outlay.  What a swizz – I had no idea this was coming, and I’m really surprised it isn’t a bigger deal and people aren’t kicking up more of a fuss about it.  I honestly thought my PayPal account had been compromised when I first saw these extra charges appearing.  I need to move to the Oregon-Washington border – where I can work in Washington (no income tax) and buy things in Oregon (no sales tax)

No comments:

Post a Comment