Sunday, February 24, 2019

Dynasties

I've been watching Planet Earth: Dynasties, including some of the making-of coverage.  And I was shocked to see the documentary crew interfere to rescue some penguins.  That is like breaking the Prime Directive in Star Trek - an absolute no-no.  If some penguins fell down a chasm and were destined to die there because they couldn't get out and return to their colony, then so be it - it is undoubtedly sad, but doesn't justify any attempts to rescue them.  Evolution is not just survival of the fittest, but also survival of the luckiest.  I think it was the wrong decision to interfere, and I lost a lot of respect for the crew for that - despite the amazing shots they've come up with over the years.  And I emphasize the word "shots", because although the cinematography of these nature series can be amazing, the sound effects sometimes leave a lot to be desired.  I also agree with those that say these shows don't do enough to highlight environmental issues and create a very false impression of the scale of the beauty of our planet - and it's rapidly decreasing amount of wilderness and amount of wildlife, including most of the species featured in these shows.  However having said that, if I was to get a 4K TV - something I have been considering recently - Planet Earth II would probably be one of the first 4K discs I buy. 

1 comment: