Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Addendum

There is one thing I hate more than snow, and that is clearing up snow.

6 days since I last used my car, and counting.  Looking like Saturday might be best chance to finally get out - hopefully I will have cleared my driveway by then, and weather is looking good, and I'll be glad to replenish my food supplies by then.  Daytime temperatures have finally got above freezing, barely, so the approx 2 feet of snow is finally starting to melt.  The roads have turned into a slushy and icy mess - and it's going to be bad tomorrow morning because the temperatures are dropping well below freezing again tonight.  Local schools have been closed all week because of the conditions.  I have been able to walk to the local corner shop to get a few things - but glad I stocked up with supplies a week ago.  I did lose power a few night's ago, but I don't think it lasted long and didn't really affect me because it was in the early hours - and feel very fortunate about that, because other people not far away have lost power for a much longer time.  A tree did come down and block my driveway, which my landlord was able to clear with his chainsaw, but that could so easily have brought my power lines down with it.  It's not just whole trees, but the weight of the snow has brought down a lot of tree limbs as well - yesterday as I was outside you could frequently hear the cracking and breaking of them.  It was interesting today in that I saw and spoke to a lot of my neighbors on my way to the corner shop and back - people who I'd never seen or met before.  I guess the shared adversity of the conditions brings people together! 

No comments:

Post a Comment