Sunday, February 17, 2019

Boxing and MMA

I wouldn't call myself a big fan - I certainly wouldn't shell out on a pay-per-view event or anything - but I will put on boxing or MMA if it happens to be on telly and there's nothing better on or I'm doing something else and I want something on in the background.  You occasionally get some good fights - and on a rare occasion a great fight - but most of them are mediocre and unmemorable at best.  And most of them feature a pair of nobodies who I don't care anything for.  Boxing has been on the decline for a number of years, but I would also say that the upstart MMA has lost some of it's luster in recent times.  But what I've noticed recently is that the lineups for both have tended to include a women's fight.  I've seen this fairly often in MMA, but now I've also seen it a few times in boxing.  And this is going to sound horribly sexist, but they are awful and I invariably end up fast forwarding these fights.  I don't think I've ever seen a good fight, let alone an entertaining one, between two women and I just don't think they should keep up the pretense of airing them just for equality's sake.  If the best women cannot put on a high quality fight, then let's just not bother - keep it amateur and for the Olympics, and not professional.  For whatever reason they lack the aggression and intensity that men's fights do, and very rarely end early in a knockout or finish.  As you can tell, this weekend was a slow one for sports when I end up watching and commenting on boxing and mixed martial arts!   

No comments:

Post a Comment