Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Dwindling Opportunities

I’m disappointed.  Last week I applied to a position in San Diego that seemed perfect for me, but I haven’t heard anything back yet.  There could be any number of reasons for this – maybe I was late in applying and they already have someone lined up for the position, maybe they want someone local, maybe the hiring manager is too busy or on vacation, maybe there is some other nefarious reason.  10 years ago, companies would be falling over themselves to employ someone like me.  Now, I fear I am no longer a good catch.  I’m older,  so my wage demands are probably higher than desired.  In a profession that is increasingly dominated by Chinese, I am the wrong race.  I don’t have a social network presence, so you won’t find me on something like LinkedIn – is that something that recruiters and HR people look at now?  But perhaps more alarming is my recent job history: which in recent years displays a lack of career growth, a lack of ability to settle and stay at one company, and some questionable longish gaps between employment.  Yikes.  I do think I would benefit any company I would move to, so for starters I need to significantly upgrade my CV to sell myself better.  That could take a while! 

No comments:

Post a Comment