Tuesday, January 30, 2018

More Work Nonsense

I’m going back to the well with another moan about work.  Today, after yet another 1-1 with my manager, I would raise my probability of leaving my current job this year from about 50% to 75%.  I’m going to start work on updating/improving my CV (resume) this weekend.  I remember when you had to fill out a CV to fit on one page – now, it’s a case of trying to provide loads of details (particularly with regards job history) over multiple pages.  A neat way I’ve found to do this is to check out job ads and try to put some requirements/experience listed in job ads relevant to me into my actual CV.  So why the increase in urgency?  Well, my manager decided to fudge my performance review by putting in all these development goals and career aspirations for me in (a) her words and (b) at the end of the year, rather than at the start.  Just ridiculous, and I couldn’t believe some of the things she was putting in – stuff like writing technical papers to submit at conferences and suchlike.  I’ve never done this in nearly 20 years in the industry, and I’m not going to start now.  These are MY development goals and career aspirations, and I’d rather she take into account what I want rather than what she wants.  It was just so arrogant and patronizing, and she was just incapable in engaging in a rational conversation about it when I complained.  And, thinking about it, she was maybe adding these things to cover herself for when I complain and/or quit.  It was shocking and depressing, and I now think there is no way I’m going to last the year with her as my manager.  I don’t think I can last a few more months!  She also emphasized that the only means of promotion was to take on direct reports – which I countered by pointing out that someone on my level got promoted this year even though they had NO direct reports, not even any contractors reporting to them like I do.  She had no argument to that, so I suspect it fell on deaf ears.  What this means to me – she is covering her ass and setting me up to fail my goals this year.  I’m not going to give her that satisfaction, either in the hope that I can change groups internally (increasingly unlikely) or that I move on.  My manager’s manager’s manager (I might have erroneously said my manager’s manager in a previous post) is going to be here later this week, but absolutely no indication she wants to talk to me.  Not a good sign.  As much as I’ve got good friends here, as much as I might want to stay and the positive aspects of this job, the negatives are far outweighing everything else at the moment and it feels like it is increasingly not in my best interests to stay.     

No comments:

Post a Comment