Wednesday, January 17, 2018

More Work Love

Back to complaining about work.  They released the official list of promotions today, and much as expected there were a lot of people who got promoted who either didn’t deserve it or who I think I am at least equal to or better than.  What was interesting is that within my manager’s team – about 10 people including me – not a single person got a promotion.  To me, that is shocking – I provided feedback on at least 2 of these people saying that I thought they did a great job and deserved a promotion.  So clearly, she did not agree and/or did not fight hard enough for them.  I am appalled at this – confirming that she doesn’t value her people highly and/or she doesn’t care about them.  I just don’t think she is a very good manager – and I am extremely worried that I will be saddled with and repressed by her unless I quit.  My only hope is that an opportunity arises if either she quits or someone else quits.  That’s only a glimmer of hope, but I can dream –  let’s see what happens once people get their bonus, right after which you normally see some people leave (also the time when I am going to start seriously looking to see what is out there in the job market).  How low am I prepared to go?  Would I consider being managed by someone in my office who 4 years ago I was at the same level as and who is now 2 levels above me?  And who I hold a grudge against for that reason and who I think I am better than.  Maybe.  That would be eating a big chunk of humble pie.  I loathe office politics – and it seems so much worse in the US than it was in the UK (perhaps exacerbated by the presence of so many Chinese and/or Indians in my field with different cultural norms on career progression, particularly when it comes to “helping their own”).  It’s controversial to say this, but in the context of my workplace I do feel marginalized and undervalued by the color of my skin.  Also, it doesn’t appear to matter if you can’t or don’t walk the walk, as long as you talk the talk – and someone with my meekness, lack of arrogance, lack of ambition, and modesty will always struggle, no matter how good at my job I might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment