Friday, January 5, 2018

Bomb Cylcone

It has been relatively mild here since the snow over Christmas - which is a big relief.  Thank god I don't live on the East Coast - they always seem to experience big and devastating weather events.  And now they've been hit by this "bomb cyclone" (apparently, an inaccurately named meteorological term for what they're experiencing, but one that is easiest for the American media to latch onto) with high winds, flooding, snow and ice.  It looks like an absolute nightmare - and a big reason why I don't think I could ever choose to live in Boston, even though I have previously interviewed there.  I've been thinking a lot about where I'd like to live - and there really is no ideal compromise between location, weather and cost of living.  Something always has to be sacrificed.  At least in the US.  Unsurprisingly, the places with the best climate are the most expensive.  And naturally, some of the biggest hubs for my industry are in locations that suck - Boston, New Jersey, and the Bay Area - none of which I want to move to for numerous reasons.  I don't particularly like the climate in the Pacific NW - too often overcast and depressing, but at least we don't experience too many extreme weather events like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment