Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Twin Peaks

After 25 years, Twin Peaks returned to TV over the weekend.  I didn’t watch it.  And this week it has been mighty difficult to avoid the many, many articles, opinions and analysis on the return of the show on all the websites I normally frequent.  I have decided that I have to watch the original before I would ever consider watching the revival.  This was a tough but necessary choice.  If I’m going to savor this series, I need to know the characters from the beginning – and that means watching it from the start.  I can wait to do this.  I can’t say I’m a big fan of David Lynch (I thought Mulholland Drive was good but not really my kind of film), so this is not exactly a must-see for me – but it is very buzzworthy and so I do feel like I’m missing out.  And I do think the music over the opening credits is one of TV’s best ever (and the opening credits remind me that I need to go to Snoqualmie Falls – which is the waterfall featured in the opening credits and which is not far at all east of Seattle).  Perhaps this is a sign of my evolving tastes – as I get older, my preferences will tend to gravitate towards more conservative, safe and familiar programs ahead of something like Twin Peaks that will involve some heavy concentration.  It’s interesting, because I’ve also started to listen to some non-comedy podcasts – particularly in the true crime genre.  I am officially getting old.    

No comments:

Post a Comment