Monday, September 26, 2016

Presidential Debate #1

I didn’t make it in home in time to watch the start of the 1st presidential debate – it started at 6pm local time, and I don’t tend to leave work until 7pm (and checking the commute time on Google Maps did not persuade me to try to leave early).  With an estimated 100 million plus watching, this was a big deal – and I don’t need to tell you about the importance.  So, my opinions are entirely formed by internet updates plus a little live streaming at work (against company policy – too much live sport streaming has apparently caused network problems!), catching the end of it at home and a few highlights afterwards.  It’s difficult for me to be impartial – it’s no secret that I absolutely detest Donald Trump – but I found the debate really unwatchable.  On the one hand you had Hillary talking too much and monotonously reciting prepared responses to questions that weren’t posed, and Donald Trump spouting his usual xenophobic rhetoric.  But he did seem a little bit more subdued than I was expecting, at least to begin with, though he still managed to spout all kinds of fictitious fact and numbers.  And I found it hilarious and preposterous that he tried to take the higher ground at the end.  Ultimately, my impression is that the debate is not going to change opinion.  You either love Donald or hate Donald, and that is how you are going to vote.  I honestly think that most people’s opinion of Hillary is in many ways irrelevant.  Politics is just so depressing.  And, just for the record, I think Hillary’s red pantsuit is utterly repulsive and I hope is never seen again.   

No comments:

Post a Comment