Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Election Update

Donald Trump is unbelievably, inexplicably still relevant in the US Presidential election.  What a tragic state of affairs.  But clearly he appeals to the base American voter.  It was interesting when I drove out to Glacier that as soon as I escaped the city then I passed a number of Trump signs, but absolutely no Hillary signs.  No matter what outrageous lie, unsubstantiated fact, or awful slander he makes, a certain proportion of the populace just laps it up.  The fact that the polls show that the race is so close is just shocking to me.  I don’t think I know of a single detailed policy proposal from Trump – I don’t think he has any, yet he is the running for becoming the leader of the most powerful country in the world.  It’s a downright scary proposition.  Hillary has hardly helped her own cause, but I’m not sure whether it’s more embarrassing for her or a more embarrassing reflection of America that the race is seemingly so tight.  Just as with Brexit, the media is not exactly covering itself in glory with its wall to wall coverage of each preposterous sound bite that Trump makes.  The first presidential debate is next week.  It will be interesting to watch – I honestly hope that Trump’s ignorance is put on full display, rather than it devolving into a ridiculous charade like the Republican debates.  The libertarian candidate (yes, there are people other than Trump and Hillary on the ticket) got recently mauled in the press for not knowing what  Aleppo was.  I can guarantee that Trump wouldn’t have known that either – this is the kind of thing he needs to be called out on, otherwise the prospect of having a total ignoramus in charge of the country is a very real possibility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment