Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Home Sweet Home

I’ve made a decision – I decided to renew my lease for another 6 months.  The rent increase was just about tolerable, and it was the easiest option.  A choice I’m sure I will come to regret (the omens are already there – one of the rings on my electric stove has stopped working, and 2 accidents made for a hellish commute this morning).  I think I’m probably just delaying the inevitable – that I have to go through the hassle of moving again – but I didn’t find anywhere I really wanted to move to (though I confess to probably not looking as hard as maybe I could have done), and the things that most bothers me in my current home (outdoor noise and smells) shouldn’t be so much of an issue during the colder and wetter months.  I’m sure I will find other things to complain about – for example, the heating in my home is hardly anything to write home about.  But the timing of a 6 month renewal also works in terms of my long term plans – it takes me to April next year, when hopefully I can find a 12 month lease for somewhere nicer and bigger, which will take me to April 2018 when I would ideally like to find a new job and move on (this would be over 2 years since starting this job – so no paying back relocation costs – and leaving after I get my not insubstantial annual bonus).  Of course the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.  But I can dream.  So long as I don’t spend another summer in my current place, that’s the main thing.    

No comments:

Post a Comment