Sunday, September 18, 2022

Road Trip Day 6: Home

Last day of the road trip.  And no more new photos, thank god!  I've got so many to sort out - so many in fact that I got a message about not having much iCloud storage left.  Today just consisted of a straight drive home - no mucking about (not even stopping at a tacky Stonehenge memorial that I went past).  And mercifully I managed to entirely avoid I-5 - though still hit a lot of traffic coming into Seattle.  The final tally on my car's odometer for this trip:

Time driven: nearly 36 hours

Distance covered: 1750 miles

No wonder I feel so mentally exhausted - when it's just me doing all the driving, that's an awful long time to maintain a certain level of concentration.  I think I did a good job of breaking up my journey with an appropriate number of breaks and pit stops.  That's encouraging - I think I want to do the longer road trip to Yellowstone next year.  Priority now is to clean my car.  On the first day of the road trip, the front of my car got absolutely coated with bugs.  So many in fact that at every stop round Crater Lake, the front of my car was swarming with wasps.  And then at some point I went down a dirt road, and the bug remnants kind of acted like a glue to build up a considerable layer of dirt across the entire front of my car.  So now I can barely see through my windshield with all the squashed bugs, and my front license plate is barely legible behind a thick layer of dirt.  I fear it won't be easy to clean off - I guess I'll find out tomorrow.       

No comments:

Post a Comment