Sunday, September 4, 2022

GoT and LOTR

Three episodes into House of the Dragon and - it pains me to say this - but I'm finding it kind of boring.  No, not kind of - I'm finding it really boring.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's still a quality show - and absolutely appointment viewing for Sunday night.  But I'm not excited by it and I'm not drawn into it in the same way that I am for other prestige shows.  I think it lacks the heart, the empathy and the humor of early seasons of Game of Thrones.  It's too serious, too dark, and has some pacing problems - something that was a serious issue in later seasons of Game of Thrones.  Not even the action scenes are doing it for me.  But I will continue to watch the show.  Whereas I haven't watched any of the Rings of Power on Amazon Prime Video yet.  This should be right up my street - for example, I own and enjoy all the Lord of the Rings films on Blu-ray.  But for some reason I am not feeling much urgency to watch this series yet.  Perhaps it is because it's on a streaming service.  Perhaps it is because I don't want to conflate the Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings universes by watching TV shows from both at the same time.  Perhaps it is because I saw a really bad trailer for Rings of Power.  But I feel like I should be watching - and enjoying - this massively expensive show, so I can't really explain my hesitancy...          

No comments:

Post a Comment