Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Road Trip Day 1: I-5

550 miles

10 hours

I haven't driven this much in one day since I drove from Austin, Texas back to Seattle.  And the I-5 corridor doesn't exactly have a cornucopia of tourist sites.  So no photos.  Today was just about driving, with the occasional pit stop for food, gas (I have had to readjust to the Oregon lack of self-service and someone filling up your car for you, which is just kind of weird) or the toilet (and it is a bit disconcerting that my bladder doesn't seem to hold in as much as it used to).  I did look up a few places I could have stopped at for longer, but it just wasn't worth it - I left later than planned, the traffic through Seattle was horrendous (they had shut down all but 1 southbound lane for "emergency repair"), there were big holdups near the Washington-Oregon border where some roadworks had also shut down all but 1 lane, and I had to take a less optimal route to avoid the massive Cedar Creek Wildfire.  So I arrived here at Klamath Falls in the dark, a good hour or two later than planned.  The best thing about today - it was my first time having an In-N-Out burger for absolutely ages, it is one of the best.  It was good to see that this Californian staple has expanded up to South Oregon.       

No comments:

Post a Comment