Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Neuroscience

Today, a new low was reached at work.  It was the kickoff meeting for a 60-day initiative entitled "The Neuroscience of Speaking Up".  "A neuroscience-based, interactive learning program that helps participants to speak up more frequently and productively, share ideas with increased confidence, and effectively evaluate decisions when needed".  As you might guess, I didn't sign up for the training voluntarily - the word "interactive" sends shivers down my spine.  It was kind of foisted on me with no notice, along with everyone in my department at my level or higher, by department heads.  And just from this one hour introductory meeting today, I can tell I am going to absolutely hate it.  It is the kind of stereotyped American self-improvement fad that I absolutely loathe.  I jotted down a few things during the meeting: pseudo-psychology, early NXIVM cult type training, wouldn't get this kind of training in the UK, don't want any part of this "learning journey"/nonsense, I actively dislike and distrust this training beyond mere indifference.  From speaking to my manager yesterday, I got the impression that the training was mandatory.  But I am not attending any future sessions, regardless of the consequences.  Particularly as I found out that the group that I have been assigned to for the more intimate group sessions is being led by my ex-manager.  My ex-manager who I do not like.  What a nightmare.  I am out.            

No comments:

Post a Comment