Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Do Deer Smell?

As I stepped out of my front door this morning, I was assailed by a pungent stench.  But not a smell I had encountered before.  Not the smell of smoke from my pyromaniac neighbor.  Not the smell of cat excrement, left by my feline mortal enemy the landlord's cat.  Not the sulfide smell that sometimes originates from my septic tank.  No, this was a stale and sweaty smell - the kind that you might find in some grotty locker room.  But where was it coming from?  A quick look around - and I think I spotted the culprit.  Or more specifically, the culprits.  There beyond my deck, in the shade of some nearby trees, were 3 deer just lounging around (sorry, no photo...!).  Well I'm not really sure if they were just lounging around, perhaps resting after surviving a big chase or the ordeal of crossing the road or something.  But I can only think they were the cause of this smell.  Is this what deer smell like?  I don't think I've been close enough to one to really know.  But I haven't encountered this smell before despite the numerous sightings of deer I've had near my house, especially this summer.  Weird.              

2 comments:

  1. I say, I say, I say.

    My dog has no nose.

    How does he smell?

    Terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got sacked from my job on the keyboard assembly line…

    The boss said I never put in a decent shift!

    ReplyDelete