Friday, February 18, 2022

Work vs Vacation

So, my rearranged trip back to the UK in April has had some unintended consequences at work.  I'm not currently busy, and don't really have any significant projects lined up for the rest of the year.  So whenever another group is short of resources and needs some help, then my name is one of those put forward to assist.  So far this has happened twice, and both times they've said no to me.  Nice.  In both cases, they have said that my planned vacation in April could be problematic.  I don't entirely believe that, though I don't know their timelines to be sure.  But I suspect there's also an element of my not being Chinese a factor.  Whatever.  But even if it's not personal, then I still feel somewhat conflicted about it.  On the one hand, these would be important and high profile projects I'd be helping out on - which would maybe be good for recognition and for my career.  But on the other hand, the work would probably be stressful and demanding of my time.  So maybe I've dodged a bullet?  Again, I wish I could just find that perfect compromise of being busy, but not too busy, with work.  Instead for the last couple of years now, I've been vastly underused.  Their loss.       

No comments:

Post a Comment