Thursday, February 3, 2022

Class Action Lawsuits

Everyone knows that the US is an extremely litigious place.  And as proof of this, in just the last week I became a claimant in 3 class action lawsuits.  And if I'd kept my service records from my old car, it could have been 4 class action lawsuits.  So how does this work?  Basically, you get an e-mail notifying you about a class action lawsuit and you have been identified as a potential claimant.  Normally this e-mail looks like junk - so it's a good job that I regularly check my Junk e-mail folder.  The e-mail points you to a website (which is kind of suspicious, so I always do a quick google search to ensure it is a genuine lawsuit), and it takes just a few minutes to enter your information here and submit your claim.  So the 3 lawsuits I am currently part of are (1) Martin vs Safeway - because apparently I used a Safeway gas station between 2017 and 2019 and the receipt may have displayed more digits of my credit card than it should have; (2) Plaid Privacy Litigation - apparently I used an app that took certain "improper actions" in connecting to one or more of my financial accounts; (3) Zoom Privacy Litigation - there were privacy and security issues with Zoom meetings between 2016 and 2021.  Ridiculous right!  Now my knowledge of class action lawsuits is not great - the most I've probably got is from reading a low-brow John Grisham novel a long time ago.  But from what I can tell, these lawsuits have reached settlements - normally with the company settling at paying many millions of dollars towards a settlement fund.  A huge proportion of this money will obviously go towards attorneys' fees - the vultures.  And the remaining amount gets divvied up between the claimants.  And since we are talking about thousands or millions of potential claimants, we are not exactly taking about big money here.  So I'm not expecting much, but for so little effort I might as well submit a claim.         

No comments:

Post a Comment