Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Euro 2020: Semi-final Thoughts

Well, that was a nail-biter.  The first bit of adversity that England has faced, and we managed to squeak through.  With a dodgy penalty in extra time that was initially saved no less.  But we're long overdue some good luck.  Got to say I wasn't engrossed in this game in much the same way as I have for the last few of England's games.  But the important thing is the result, and we're through to the final ready to be thumped by Italy.  I think Denmark just ran out of steam in extra time - otherwise both teams were fairly well matched.  But a major tournament final at Wembley - can't ask for a better opportunity than this.  Italy will be a real challenge though - they may also have squeaked through their semi-final, but have clearly been the best team in the tournament.  A few other random observations: I like the silver ball they've been using in these knockout games, I HATE the Football's Coming Home song - it sucks, glad they don't play a third-place game which is a total waste of time,  now got to decide if I stay at home to watch the final or venture out to an English pub or sports bar to try to watch the final with some fellow English fans.  I'll probably just do what I've done for every other England game, and stay at home.  Maybe I should invite a few friends over?!  No, I'll probably be too tense and not good company....

No comments:

Post a Comment