Saturday, July 17, 2021

Biotech News

I read an article this week that said GlaxoSmithKline are planning to build a huge biotech and life sciences campus in the UK.  That's good news for my industry in the UK - creating thousands of jobs and becoming one of the largest hubs in Europe.  But then I saw where this was going to be.  Stevenage.  Really?  Of all the places in the UK, they had to select Stevenage.  Stevenage sucks.  Admittedly GSK already has roots there - but still, I couldn't think of many worse places to be located.  And I think this reflects a general problem for my industry in the UK - most of the jobs tend to be located in quite shitty places in the SE of England (e.g. I worked in Slough).  But this isn't a problem unique to the UK - I could say the same thing about the US.  Most of the biggest pharma/biotech industry hubs are located in places that I have absolutely no interest in ever moving to - the Bay area, Boston, New Jersey.  Happy to visit places like that, not to live there.  Clearly the pandemic is not the only reason for an increase in remote jobs in my industry.       

No comments:

Post a Comment