Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Connectivity

A bit of a nightmare yesterday evening and this morning – I didn’t have any TV or internet.  Very frustrating – I noticed it late last night, and managed to snag a service appointment first thing this morning.  But when I woke up today, it looked like everything was okay and so I cancelled the appointment.  Naturally, five minutes later it all went down again and I couldn’t re-book the appointment until tomorrow at the earliest.  The extent of my reliance on TV and internet was, and is, very sobering.  I didn’t know what to do with myself.  I couldn’t work from home – and didn’t really want to go into the office or to a coffee shop or somewhere with internet access.  At home couldn’t go online, couldn’t watch any streaming services and couldn’t watch any live TV – it’s a sad realization just how much of my life relies on connectivity nowadays.  I guess I could have made a start on all the unwatched DVDs and Blu-rays that I own!  Instead I spent hours testing various things to see if they were the cause of the problem – naturally none of them were.  I did take the opportunity to go the opticians to get the scratch on my glasses fixed – these are glasses I ordered online, but they have a retail shop near the University so I drove down there to get the lenses replaced.  I guess I could also have gone for a hike or something, but typically today was the first bit of rain that we’ve had since forever.  Fortunately came back to a message saying that the technicians had identified and fixed a neighborhood issue affecting the internet.  Absolutely no mention of any local service outages on their website when I checked… but so far so good, hence being able to post this.  So much for another constructive day.

No comments:

Post a Comment