Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Ken Burns

Another one of Ken Burn’s million hour long documentary series is currently airing.  This one is on country music.  These documentaries are good, but my god they are exhausting – and totally unsuited to binge-watching.  And neither are they particularly memorable – perhaps because they are so long it makes them very unfocused.  I’m trying to think of the word I’ve used before that best describes them -  I think it was “twee”.  They are definitely over-sentimentalized, which can be disappointingly off-putting.  I haven’t seen them all – I can only think of Prohibition and The Vietnam War more recently, and I think I might also have seen some of his Baseball one.  But country music, really?  Not a topic whose history particularly interests me.  I am recording this series but haven’t watched any of it yet.  And honestly don’t know whether I will – because of the length (I think this one is something like 16 hours long total) it is quickly filling up my DVR, and I have only just recently purged my DVR of some programs/films because it was getting too full.  So this might also get sacrificed – especially with the fall TV season about to start (though TV seasons are an increasingly quaint relic of the pre-streaming/pre-on-demand era).

No comments:

Post a Comment