Sunday, December 9, 2018

Best of the Year Lists

It's that time of year when all these best of the year lists come out - the ten best films of 2018, the ten best tv shows of 2018, the ten best video games of 2018, etc etc.  What I'm struck by is just how clueless I am when it comes to modern music - I see these lists of the best songs of 2018 or the best albums of 2018, and I don't recognize any of them.  Or if I do recognize the name of the artist, it's not because of their music but because they've made the pop culture news for some other stupid reason like a twitter feud with a beloved celebrity.  Low, Janelle Monae, Idles, Kacey Musgraves, Mitski, Cardi B, Pusha T, Kamasi Washington, Christine and the Queens, Tirzah.  I have absolutely no idea what any of these artists sound like - and almost all of them I've never even heard of before - and yet they all have albums that are currently mentioned the most on music critics top ten lists for 2018.  Absolutely no clue.  Does that say something about me?  Does that say something about who and how we listen to music nowadays?  Does music just absolutely suck nowadays? 

1 comment: