Sunday, July 29, 2018

Flight Plight

From my Notes App on my iPhone today:

A depressing and long 10+ hour flight to the UK.  Noisy, smelly, unable to sleep, headache, constantly disturbed by other people, mediocre food, terrible film selection that you can't see properly anyway on the crappy screen.  When I've not been able to check in online before, it has resulted in an upgrade when I check in in person.  No such luck this time - if it is even luck?  I might have been the victim of white privilege as I was checked in by a colored woman, who was not exactly friendly.  And, from my vantage point just behind business class, there look to be loads of spare seats there.  Grrrrrr.  Worse, because I hadn't checked in early I got a really shitty seat assignment - a middle seat by the toilets.  Did the check in agent give me any choices?  Did she heck.  I did manage to get that changed to an aisle seat (not even a window seat, my ideal choice) later on - and as an unexpected bonus a free seat next to me.  Some respite.  Would have been nice to at least allow me to check in online when I wanted to with a better choice of seats, but I'll take no one next to me over a window seat.  Still, what a big letdown - perhaps I've been spoiled in the past with generous upgrades, and now I haven't got one and was expecting one that I feel so gutted.  It might also be reflective of how much money is flowing into the Seattle area thanks to big tech, and so there might be less updates available now.  Or BA trying to save a bit money - the most likely reason methinks.  Regardless, it probably also means the last time I take BA - with a wider choice of flights between Seattle and London, might be time to change things up.  If I come back this Christmas - an idea I'm toying with, depending on how this trip goes - it will probably be with someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment