Friday, December 22, 2017

Temporary Respite

It was like a ghost town in the office today.  Most people have stayed home or gone away for the holidays, and only a handful of people – including myself – bothered to come in.  Eerily quiet – a perfect time to get stuff done, if I actually had stuff that needed to get done!  We’d already been told that we could leave at noon – so after a few of us went out to get some chowder for lunch and had a few games of ping pong, departed the office and a welcome 10 day break from work to look forward to!  Might actually be the last time I play ping pong for a few months – they are remodeling the ping pong space into more offices and cubes, so we are temporarily homeless.  Probably for the best, I need the break as my current form is abysmal.  As well as finishing runner-up in the tournament, I also remain ensconced in the #2 position on the ladder – absolutely incapable of beating the #1, no matter how many times we play.  And recent matches have not even been close.  In addition, a right-hander has started to play left-handed due to an injury to his right shoulder and has even managed to beat me playing left-handed.  That was totally humiliating, and not the way I wanted to see out the year!  The curse of being competitive but being useless at sports strikes again….!

No comments:

Post a Comment