Thursday, December 28, 2017

Overrated Films

I want to mention 2 films that I've seen in the last few days.  The first is Get Out.  This is, by all accounts, one of the best films to come out in 2017.  Universally acclaimed, appearing in most critics best-of lists, with many having it as #1 film of the year, I had DVR'ed it a little while ago and finally got round to watching it recently.  For the life of me, I do not understand what the fuss is all about.  I mean it was alright and everything, but nothing special and entirely unmemorable - maybe just not by cup of tea, me not being the biggest fan of horror nor stupid plot devices.  The second film I want to mention is Star Wars: The Last Jedi, which I finally got round to watching today.  A good film for sure, and certainly a lot better than The Force Awakens, but it didn't really blow me away as much as I had hoped.  Some good action, some good melodrama, a satisfying and twisty plot, and unsurprisingly it looked great, but still a bit too formulaic, too many one-dimensional characters, and I absolutely HATED the porgs - clearly included only and entirely for cuddly toy marketing purposes.  Would love to see a darker version of this film - but then that wouldn't be the film that all the kids want to see and wouldn't make billions of dollars.  I've always been a cynical person, but I fear that as I'm getting older I'm getting more cynical if that's even possible - at this rate, I'm going to reach a time point soon where I don't get enjoyment from anything whatsoever.  That is a scary thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment