Monday, April 24, 2017

(Hyper)tension

I appear to be suffering from quite a lot of anxiety at the moment, and I’m not really sure why – it’s certainly impacting my ability to get a good night’s sleep (especially now that sunrise in Seattle is as early as 6 am, and the bedroom blinds are totally ineffective at keeping out the light), and it’s affecting my focus at work, at home (I keep on having to pause and rewind programs because I am just not able to fully concentrate on what’s going on) and at ping pong (where even a new $150 paddle has made little difference in turning my form around).  I suspect it is probably to do with my upcoming move next week – I’ve got most of my stuff boxed up now, and it’s kind of sad seeing all the junk I have, most of which I would probably just dump if I was moving to California.  I’m also somewhat worried about what I’m going to need in my new place – I don’t think it comes with a microwave, but also things like blinds/shades/curtains (which might be a major test of my very limited DIY skills) and whether to get a home security system or (more likely) just get a cheap security camera.  I’ve already ordered some fake security signs!  I’m also not sure if I want to splash out on some new furniture – like a new sofa or a new bed/mattress – because again, if my hope is to move back to California next year then there doesn’t seem any point in getting new furniture now.  I guess I’ll make my decision once I move in.  Inexplicably, I’m also worried that for some reason my move might fall through – like I’ve been fleeced or something unexpected comes up to derail my plans.  I have absolutely no justification for feeling this way – perhaps just because this is the first place in the US I’m going to be renting directly from an individual owner rather than some large realty-owning corporation.  As they say, moving home is one of life’s most stressful events…

No comments:

Post a Comment