Saturday, April 22, 2017

Happy Earth Day

I'm disappointed with myself - I had totally forgotten it was Earth Day today, and so had forgotten that it was also the March for Science today.  Yet another rally bringing out tens/hundreds of thousands of people across the country to protest against one or other of Trump's policies.  I kind of would've quite liked to have joined today's march in Seattle, despite the wet weather, but alas it wasn't to be.  But perhaps what was most surprising to me was that nobody mentioned or spoke about it at work - despite the fact that I work in the pharma/biotech industry, about as scientific a field as you can get.  Perhaps it was too political for our company to encourage it's employee's to attend the march, although in theory the march was supposed to be nonpartisan (it clearly was not).  But I didn't even discuss or overhear anyone talking about attending it - admittedly I'm not the most sociable person at work, but I still would have thought I would hear something if some people were going.  It's a shame, because I strongly support the purpose and mission of the protest - I hate the proposed cuts to agencies like the National Institute of Health and Environmental Protection Agency, I hate having a President who seemingly does not believe in climate change or the safety of vaccines, I hate fake news and "alternative facts", and I hate some of the environmentally-unfriendly administration appointments and executive orders already issued by the great orange one.  And then he has the temerity to issue a statement saying that science is critical to his administration.  Yet another alternative fact methinks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment