Friday, April 14, 2017

Duke Nukem

It will be interesting to see what goes down in the next few days/weeks in North Korea.  Seattle will be (or already is) the first major US city that could be reached by a nuclear missile fired by North Korea.  Naturally, some of the reprehensible conservative pundits have said that this wouldn’t be a major loss to America.  I don’t find the prospect of an American metropolitan area of approx 4 million people (including myself) being nuked particularly funny.  Hopefully the US has a sufficient missile defense system to prevent that ever happening – but who knows if that would work.  In some ways, I am a little bit conflicted about Trump’s military strategy.  I don’t like the US imposing itself on everyone as the “world’s police” – but I don’t necessarily disagree about the retaliatory strike after Syria used chemical weapons – especially given the total ineffectiveness of the United Nations.  Nonetheless, I find the image of Trump’s small hand hovering over a red nuclear launch button particularly disturbing.  But I don’t think Trump will show the same weakness as Obama did when a foreign government “crosses the line” and actually will address it head on – maybe impulsively, maybe recklessly, but at least something.  When he starts to go after China, perhaps following an incident in the South China Sea, then I really will start to worry.  

1 comment:

  1. I don’t find the prospect of an Korean metropolitan area of approx 10 million people (Seoul) being bombed to shit particulary funny either.

    In all the years I've been here, I've never been remotely worried ... until now. Any strike against Nk will have huge retaliation. Here's hoping calmer heads prevail and no one strikes fist.

    For what's it worth, NK will never attack Seattle (or the US) unless already embroiled in war. Their missles and nukes are just deterent. And given the way other countries are treated ... on one hand you can't really blame them!

    ReplyDelete