Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Work Rant

After a year of being criminally mismanaged and misused at work, I’ve reached my limit and have to do something about it.  So I think I’m going to ask my manager’s manager for a new manager next year.  I don’t want to do this, but I think I have to if I’m going to get any sense of satisfaction or fulfillment from my job.  Right now, I have got practically nothing to work on.  Not for the first time this year I am being significantly underused, yet there must be loads of work out there since we appear to have hired several new statistical programmers over the last couple of weeks.  Of course, I am not informed about any of this– I’m kept in the dark about an awful lot of things.  And all of this is making me feel anxious about my job and my future – I think needlessly, because if anything my company has difficulty holding on to good people (which I think I am) rather than letting people go – and with us having so many contractors, they will be the first to go if it ever comes to that.  But currently I don’t feel valued and I don’t feel I’m necessary or important – so I don’t think any kind of significant impact would be felt if I was to leave right now, and that is worrying.  It’s ironic that my company has just introduced a new core value – inclusion.  I don’t feel included in anything that is going on – particularly as a token Caucasian in a department full of Chinese and Indians.  An interesting rumor I’ve heard is that my manager and my manager’s manager don’t get on (and I do get on with my manager’s manager, since we share the history of having both left and come back to this company), so perhaps there is something that can be done to improve my situation.  It’s all about timing now – with end of year performance reviews coming up, along with the all-important bonus and pay increase (of which I am going to push for something decent, because I got screwed over last year), I will probably have to wait until the new year because the last thing I want to do is piss off the person making decisions in the upcoming months on my financial compensation.   

No comments:

Post a Comment