Thursday, October 6, 2016

Hurricane Matthew

The big weather news here is Hurricane Matthew heading towards Florida and the East Coast.  Obviously the US being as self-centered as it is, all the coverage is about the evacuations and potential impact it could have on American soil rather than all the death and destruction it has already left in its path in places like Bahamas, Haiti and Dominican Republic.  Mind you, the potential financial costs of a big Florida hit could be enormous.  Coincidentally, I was recently considering the possibility of whether I would ever move to Florida.  It satisfies my main condition of being somewhere that has lots of palm trees.  And is much more affordable than California.  But I don’t know anybody who lives there, or anybody who wants to live there – Florida hardly has the most flattering reputation.  But I’m sure that as with anywhere else, it has it good parts and bad parts and its pros and cons.  For some reason – maybe the fact that it has both a baseball and American Football team – the Tampa Bay area has always intrigued me.  No idea what it’s like – I’ve never been there – but I’d still choose the occasional hurricane over the horrible winters of the Northeast or the ungodly expense of living in the Bay Area.

No comments:

Post a Comment