Monday, December 4, 2023

Chromebook

It looks like I have to get a new Chromebook next year.  A message has popped up on it saying that I will no longer get automatic software or security updates from June 2024.  Apparently Chromebooks only receive 10 years of updates - but it feels like I haven't had this Chromebook for 10 years.  Whatever.  It's not a big deal - part of the reason for getting a Chromebook is that it is so much cheaper than a Windows laptop.  And I was thinking about getting a new one anyway.  But still, I don't particularly like having a set expiration date forced on me.  And a quick search on my Amazon order history does indeed reveal that I got this Chromebook in 2019.  So it seems even more outrageous that I will stop getting automatic updates after less than 5 years.  Big tech sucks.    

No comments:

Post a Comment