Sunday, October 1, 2023

Would I Move Back?

I often get asked - particularly when I'm back in the UK - whether I would ever move back to the UK permanently.  And sure, it is something I have considered quite a lot.  What is interesting is that if I'm asked while in the US, my answer is most likely that I would consider it under the right circumstances.  What those circumstances are I keep quite vague, because I don't really know what they are.  However when I'm asked the same question while I'm back in the UK, then I more definitively say that no I wouldn't consider moving back permanently.  I'm not sure which is the more honest answer, but probably the latter.  I'm more than happy to visit regularly or on more extended visits, but I feel my permanent residence belongs in the US rather than the UK now.  To the extent that I will become a US citizen at some point.  And if I think about where I would like to see out the rest of my life, I can picture that being in the US a lot more than in the UK.  Not necessarily in the Pacific Northwest - I think I will move to warmer climes at some point - but nonetheless in the US.  I guess going back to the UK only emphasizes the fact that the UK doesn't feel like home to me anymore.  There will always be things that I miss from the UK when I'm in the US, but as I've got older I think these things have become less important and the things that I would miss from the US when I'm in the UK are a bigger deal.     

No comments:

Post a Comment