Monday, October 16, 2023

Breaking Geodes

There is an art to breaking geodes cleanly.  I have not mastered it yet.  I opened some over the weekend, and clearly need to work on my technique.  Maybe I need some new tools?  Putting the geode in a sock and smashing it with a hammer is the simplest blunt force method, but not the best.  You can't see when cracks start appearing in the geode and you end up smashing it into too small pieces.  I improvised by putting the geodes in freezer bags instead of socks, which helped a little bit in seeing what I was doing.  But I lack patience and nuance.  If I was to take up lapidary seriously, I'd buy a saw.  I do want to buy and break some more geodes, so maybe I might at least get a chisel and see if that helps.  Saying all that, I did manage to do a good job on one really beautiful geode (which the photo doesn't really do justice to):


No comments:

Post a Comment