Sunday, October 29, 2023

Candy

As a diabetic, this is a bad time of the year.  The supermarkets are full of Halloween candy for trick and treaters.  And when I went into Walmart today, the Christmas candy was also already out on the shelves.  The temptation just to treat myself to a little something is difficult to resist.  But I must try to do so.  I am on the right path.  I had a doctor's appointment last week where they measured my A1C.  This is a simple blood test that measures your average blood sugar levels over the last 3 months.  And my result was very encouraging - significantly lower than the last time I had it measured (which was when I had to go to the emergency room with my high blood sugar level, so that doesn't come as a surprise).  No, the surprise was that my level is low enough that I am no longer classified as diabetic but as pre-diabetic.  Nice.  Mind you, that probably won't stop me being on diabetes medication (plus high blood pressure medication, plus high cholesterol medication) for the rest of my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment