Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Working from Home

Another unwelcome development at work.  Beginning next month, they're making us go into the office 3 days a week.  The reasoning is a joke - for example "we firmly believe that broad, in-person interaction is necessary for spontaneous discourse, cross-team rapport, strengthening of ideas and supporting an inclusive environment".  Which is the some of the biggest BS I've ever heard.  The whole thing sucks.  And we don't even have much of a choice about which days these are - it is their "strong preference" that they are the 3 core collaboration days of Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Naturally, I think it's the wrong decision - I personally feel we should have the leeway to go into the office as little or as much as we want.  For most of us, working from home or working from the office should not make a difference to how good we do at our job.  However I don't think it's coincidence that they've recently changed how we connect to work from home, and it's noticeably slower than it used to be.  Is this their sneaky way of making us want to go into the office more?  This kind of lowball act wouldn't surprise me from this company.  I don't normally have any meetings on Wednesday, so I have absolutely no intention of going into the office then - I'd rather go on a Monday or Friday when it's considerably quieter.  But I guarantee I'll be forced to come in on Wednesday.  What is particularly disrespectful is that they've said that they're going to use badge and timekeeping data to monitor compliance.  Nice, that really helps build up the trust between upper management and us grunts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment