Sunday, May 28, 2023

Promotion and Relegation

Who do I hope gets relegated tomorrow (well I'm writing this so late, it's actually later today)?  My preference would be Everton and Leeds, but I think Everton will somehow survive.  Again.  I like Leicester, but likability is not enough in a relegation scrap.  And congratulations to Luton for getting promoted to the Premier League.  I don't follow the Championship at all, so I had no idea they were even a serious contender.  Last I knew they were non-league, so that is quite an impressive turnaround.  Especially for a club in one of the worst cities in the UK.  But I have a certain fondness for Luton growing up - perhaps because they had a lot of parallels with Oldham Athletic (a plastic pitch, limited success in cup and league competition, a history of financial mismanagement), perhaps because I liked David Pleat as a manager, perhaps because one of my childhood friends was a Luton supporter (most people at school were either Arsenal or Spurs fans, so I respected someone supporting Luton).  And it's good to have a team with such a small capacity stadium in the top league, even if it's only for one season.   

No comments:

Post a Comment