Saturday, April 15, 2023

Words

There are certain words in the English language that you don't hear that often but really capture your attention when you do.  Mainly because they are great.  And I was lucky to hear one of those during some basketball commentary a few days ago.  Why was basketball on?  Because it's the playoffs, and so I will catch an occasional game.  The commentary was by one of my favorite commentators - Kevin Harlan.  Just go on YouTube or Reddit, and you'll find that I'm not the only one that thinks he is great (e.g. there are YouTube clips of him doing some hilarious commentary on pitch invaders).  Anyway, a minor altercation occurred between some players during the game.  Only he didn't describe it as an altercation or melee or skirmish or dust-up or whatever.  Nope, he used another word.  One that you wouldn't expect.  Hootenanny.  Yep, a hootenanny.  When was the last time you heard that?  A perfect descriptor.  Magnificent use of the English language.  Amazing he just dropped that casually in the commentary, it's just so good and it's one I'd like to add to my lexicon and hopefully have the opportunity to use myself one day.     

1 comment:

  1. Except Hootenanny actually means "a party involving music"

    ReplyDelete