Friday, April 7, 2023

Bad Friday

A less than savory incident happened to me today.  I was retrieving mail from my mailbox.  To access my mailbox, I can either use my landlord’s driveway or go along the road at the bottom of my driveway.  I used the road today, mainly because I took a plastic bag with me so I can pick up a few pieces of trash on the way.  Walking along this bit of road can be a bit hairy – it's relatively narrow, there is no pavement (sidewalk) and the road has trees either side so it can quite dark (I won’t walk on the road if it’s not daylight).  The posted speed limit is 25 mph, but most cars are liable to go a lot than faster than that.  Now as a pedestrian, I would hope that cars would at least slow down a bit and give me a wide berth to pass me.  And most do.  But some don’t.  Some don’t slow down, some don’t move across.  As I was walking back to my house with my mail, someone in a white pickup passed me speeding.  I didn’t say anything, but I kind of turned my head with a disapproving look to follow the car round the corner after it passed me.  A few seconds later, the same car came back along the other side of the road, slowed down, window down, and the guy driving decided to start a “conversation” with me.  It went something like this – “Did you say something to me?”, "Excuse me?", "Did you say something to me?, “You were speeding”, “No I wasn’t”, “Do you know what the speed limit is here?”, “25 mph”, “Well you were definitely going faster than that”, “No I wasn’t, do you have a speed camera?  You want to be careful what you say, you could get hurt”.  And then he drove off.  Well, lovely.  I just got threatened on the road outside my house.  What charming people I have driving in my neighborhood – I thought the people who drop the trash are bad enough, but this is a step beyond even that.  I wish I had made a note of the license plate – but I will keep an eye out for that white pickup again.  Honestly, I wish they would just put in speed bumps on my road – but I don't think that will ever happen until someone (like me) gets hit by a car there.

No comments:

Post a Comment