Friday, April 14, 2023

A quick moan

Another moan about work, sorry.  It's bad enough having to work with colleagues whose first language is not English, and who cannot communicate effectively in English (and clearly would rather not work with me because I don't understand Chinese - I've been in way too many meetings where someone has started talking in Chinese, and then had to be told by someone else that I am on the call, and so have had to reluctantly revert to horribly broken English).  But on top of that, I'm currently working with a colleague whose English is barely comprehensible (even in e-mail form) yet when they communicate with me is somehow also incredibly patronizing.  I cannot work out whether it is intentional or not, but it is infuriating.  I do not appreciate my work being scrutinized as much at is by them - wholly unnecessary, especially by someone who is not as experienced and not as good at their job as I am.  And this person's difficult to understand chinglish comments come across as being talked down to like I am some kind of junior programmer - not someone who has being doing this sh*t for 25 odd years.  This person has already stuck their nose in my business where it isn't wanted, and now I feel like I am in some kind of unexpected power struggle.  And I think I am losing.  Nonsense like this is why I don't get promoted.  The sooner I finish or get reallocated away from my current project, the better.      

No comments:

Post a Comment