Wednesday, April 12, 2023

IT

I've got a mysterious problem at work.  My keyboard and mouse intermittently stop working.  They are wired and are plugged into a docking station.  I've been working with IT to try to identify the cause of the problem.  First thought was that it might be the docking station.  That got replaced last week, but then the same issue happened today.  It seems unlikely that both the mouse and keyboard are simultaneously the problem, but I got them replaced today.  But a crucial difference is that I now have a wireless keyboard and mouse - similar to what I have at home.  I haven't had any problems at home, so perhaps this solution might work in the office.  No problems yet.  But the IT guy has a somewhat out-there theory.  He think that static electricity might be the problem.  Now I admit to having noticeably more static electricity in my body for a while now, but could this really affect hardware?  That seems like some very dubious thinking to me - but I'm prepared to consider it.  Perhaps going wireless with my keyboard and mouse will therefore help - it'll be interesting to see if I encounter the problem again.  But I like the possibility that I'm so charged with static electricity that I cause hardware to break.  The IT guy joked that I am now officially banned from the server room!  Perhaps I'm developing some kind of superpower - whereby I start shooting electricity out of my hands.  Then the question becomes - do I use my newfound powers for good or for evil?      

No comments:

Post a Comment