Sunday, October 16, 2022

eBay

Is there anything more deflating and frustrating than constantly getting outbid on items in eBay?  Clearly someone with more money than me is bidding on the same James Bond items that I am - damn those even more serious collectors.  I need to rethink my strategy.  But I'm not sure anything I do will make a difference - I have a feeling people are using bots to put in last second bids.  For example, today I put a bid in the last 10 seconds of an auction - my bid was substantially higher than the last bid.  My thinking was that there wouldn't be time for someone to counter, so I would win.  Nope, I still lost out.  In some respects, I don't mind too much - it was an awful lot of money for something that is not really worth it, and I wasn't prepared to go any higher.  But the fact that it still wasn't enough is extremely disappointing.  Yes the prices of everything from gas to groceries to utilities is ridiculously high at the moment, but even I have my limits.   

1 comment:

  1. It's not a sneaky 3rd party bot, it's how e-bay works.

    I've just bid on something which is £5 now

    My max bid is £9

    If A.N. Other then bids £7, e-bay will instantaineously put me in at £7.10 (or whatever the next threshold after £7 is), next person bids £8 - same again - until my Max bid figure is reached.

    The software has become more seamless over the years in an effort to reduce sniping (which is what you were attempting).

    ReplyDelete